Tuesday, April 20, 2010

This is a great idea.

Very little continues to happen in my life since I'm devoting all my spare time to watching Shield DVDs. That statement does not even feel sad or pathetic. That's how good this show is.

This means season 5 has been concluded:


A similar pile showed up on my coffee table after a scene in an early season 6 episode. I will only say this: box of books. Cry with me now, fellow Shield fans.

Okay, that's enough of that. I want to share with you something my Dad sent me that was printed in the New York Times. (Happy Birthday, Dad!) This is a great idea for us traveling photographers. I'm heading to NYC soon, and I think I'll follow this advice.

Dear Diary:

On the way to the subway after work in late February, I found a digital camera in the snow. I brought it home and checked to see that it worked. There were tourist pictures of New York City on the camera: a gentleman smiling at Times Square, Lincoln Center, the Empire State Building, etc. And, there was a photo of the Novotel hotel sign.

On a whim, I called the Novotel and explained to a somewhat perplexed front desk employee that I might possibly have the camera of one of their guests. I persuaded them to take my telephone number in case anyone should inquire.

At 1 a.m. I got a call from a Frenchwoman, apologizing for calling at such an hour, explaining that she had lost her camera and hoped that I had it.

The next day, a grateful couple came by and retrieved their camera on the way to the airport. They were heading home to Paris. They gave me some pate de fruits from Fauchon.

Lesson learned: Take a picture of your hotel on your digital camera.

7 comments:

Linda said...

I would love to believe that a good Samaritan would go to that extreme to return a Nikon D40. But I can't.

Jimmy Jam said...

not smart.

I call you cause you left you camera somewhere. I get you to go to a crappy neighborhood and mug you, taking your travelers checks ID and CC. I get your hotel key and get to live it up on your dime while you stuck in a manhole or something since I punch you in the back of the head and you have amnesia.

Please see Saw 1, 2,3, 4, 5, I saw what you did last summer, Friday the 13 (remake version 3), and EVERY nightmare story of being in a horrible contry.

Ali said...

James, I thought we discussed this whole mugging people and throwing them into manholes thing. I thought we were past it. Am I going to have to check your basement for bodies again?

Linda said...

Ali, I am so sorry. Giz raised James on all sorts of scary movies and science fiction. However,
between your attic and James' basement I fear that there will not be a floor that can be safely inhabited.

Kristen said...

Solution to James' problem: always be packin'.

Jimmy Jam said...

Yea.....

A.B.P.


WORD!

Ali said...

Oh, Linda... your kids...