Saturday, February 25, 2012

Short films!



Oscar-readiness 2011 is winding to a close. I just watched the animated and live action Short Film nominees. The animated ones were just so-so this year. The only stand-out is the beautiful The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore, which you can watch for free here. The rest really weren't that great. To be fair, La Luna wasn't available for screening, so I can't comment on that one.


The live action shorts, however, they were fantastic. I can't remember ever seeing such a strong crop of shorts in one year. You can download them from iTunes, and it really is worth the seven bucks. My favorite is probably Pentecost, the story of an Irish altar boy that had me guffawing with laughter from start to finish. But they're all good and really worth your time.

Last night Jen and I saw Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, which finished off Best Picture and Supporting Actor. After my movie madness, here are the categories I ended up finishing:

Best Picture
Best Actor
Best Actress
Best Supporting Actor
Best Supporting Actress
Best Director
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Cinematography
Best Editing
Best Art Direction
Best Make-up
Best Live Action Short Film

I was one film away from completing another six categories, but I didn't see the need to subject myself to Transformers 3 or that horrible movie Madonna made in order to romanticize two really awful people who were totally Nazis.

Yes, I said Nazis!

Tomorrow night is the big show. I'm betting on major wins for The Artist and major laughs from Billy Crystal. Whee!

No comments: