Monday, December 21, 2009

"Donkey!" (said in Scottish ogre voice)

So, it's the shortest day of the year, which makes me think with fondness of Gram and how this day would have made her more cheerful than a day in August, because now we start building up to longer days as opposed to losing increments of light with each passing day. Oh, Gram.

As for me, I'm taking some time today to make a cardboard donkey for one of my colleagues. Don't judge me. My friend at work sent this tidbit to me in an email:

December 21st, the shortest day (longest night/Winter Solstice) of the year, is dubbed St. Thomas Day. In parts of the Sauerland (in Germany), whoever wakes up late or arrives late to work on that day is issued the title "Thomas Donkey." This person is given a cardboard donkey and is the subject of numerous jokes throughout the day. But this gentle abuse ends deliciously with round, iced currant buns called "Thomasplitzchen". In other parts of Germany the day is called other names such as Durchspinn-Nacht or Durchsitz-Nacht. Traditionally a lot of alcohol is consumed and the next day is often called Kotzmorgen (hangover morning).

So, of course we had to make a cardboard donkey and present it to our perpetually late colleague. This was my template:


I love December.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Ha! That's awesome. Although I can't quite picture you with a hangover. ;)

Jimmy Jam said...

Ali with a hangover? How about Ali drunk...oh wait she's already clumsy..never mind.

Ali said...

I do not deny it.