Sunday, October 23, 2011

Becoming an avocado person*

*That sounds like the name of a hideous Canadian sci-fi movie you'd see on MST3K.

You know how they say if you introduce a food to a kid 12 times, the kid will start to like it? (I think that's how my mother got Julia to eat asparagus. Blech.) Well, I'm about to try that with avocado.

I have never liked the taste of avocado (though I love the consistency) but it's apparently terribly healthy for you, so I think I should throw myself onto this bandwagon. I do not envision myself drinking those avocado smoothies that Kristen and Nicole and Becky love to make (the horror) but I am determined to make myself like guacamole.


I went to the DeLallo store in Greensburg this weekend and nearly wept at the beauty of their produce. The euphoria caused me to buy two avocados before I even knew what I was doing.


I have to say, cutting open an avocado is a lot of fun.


This recipe called for just scooping out the meat and mashing it with a fork.


The DeLallo store also had a huge display of gorgeous Roma tomatoes, one of which I chopped up for my guacamole salsa.


Then you add chopped green onion (which always makes me think of my grandfather) and half a jalapeno, chopped fine. The recipe listed fresh cilantro as an optional ingredient and I jumped right on that because, to paraphrase George Costanza, I would ensconce myself in cilantro if it were socially acceptable.


Sprinkle on some salt and pepper, add the juice of one lime, and give it all a mix.


Now, perhaps the true reason I am gobbling this down like a pancake-eater on Fat Tuesday is the lime and cilantro (one of my favorite flavor combinations ever) or the crisp green onion or the juicy Roma tomatoes. Maybe I'm not an avocado person just yet. But I'm getting there.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Another way to make it is to chop the avocado into pieces (like the tomato) instead of mashing it, making it come out more like the consistency of Chipotle's salsa with all the chunks. It tastes really fresh and delicious. I also cannot believe they told you the cilantro was optional. Why didn't they just tell you to leave out the avocado while you were at it? Sheesh.

Ali said...

Hmmm, perhaps I will try it with the chunks, but I must say, what I really loved about this was the way that the avocado was a creamy base that enveloped the chunks of tomato and onion and the bits of jalapeno and cilantro.

Full disclosure: I ate the whole bowl.

Liz said...

of course you ate the whole bowl. why wouldn't you. that's my lunch some days (minus the jalepeno).

also, I turned myself into an avocado person a few years ago. totally worth it. little tip: add salt any time you're eating it. makes SUCH a difference.

Megan said...

I still have yet to try avacados...perhaps someday I will!