Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Sparkles, sequins, and Christmas craftiness

So, here's how my Christmas decorating turned out. This year I decided to go monochromatic with the mantle, and red seemed the clear choice.


So, I dutifully gathered everything shiny and red in my apartment.



Not surprisingly, there was quite a bit.



But the wall above the mantle still looked too bare. Something needed to be done.



So I got crafty and whipped up a sparkly red wreath. It was quick and easy (tutorial to follow tomorrow) and it made all the difference.



Carrying on with my monochromatic theme, like a magpie I gathered every shiny silver object I own and created this on the dining room register. I was quite pleased.



For the shelf above the sideboard, I went with pastels. I was less pleased. It didn't fill out the space and it didn't pack the visual punch I wanted for that space, since it is visible from my front door. The solution was obvious.



The pastels moved to the register.



Blue, pink, and green ornaments pick up the colors of the sequined trees. I love sequins so much. I'd ensconce myself in sequins if it were socially acceptable.



The hand-blown glass ornaments I brought back from Venice are safe in a footed bowl, which is great since I'm too paranoid to hang them on anything.



And this ended up being my favorite part of the decorations. It's such a lovely, sparkly sight to see when I walk in the door.







May your days be merry and bright.

2 comments:

Liz said...

ooooooh. really nice. i love monochromatic.

I also did my mantle in red (i was super excited to have a mantle!).

oh, and this is the first year ever in my life that I've thought my christmas tree was big enough. few will understand the joy of a chubby tree.

Ali said...

Isn't a mantle the best? I was so excited when I moved into this place. And yes, I'm with you on the chubby tree. See you next week!