Thursday, December 15, 2011

Tinsel wreath tutorial



So, if you read yesterday's post, you'll remember that I had a blank space on the wall above my mantle that desperately needed some shiny redness. Enter the tinsel wreath. This project is so simple and so fun and it involves sparkly tinsel, which I think we can all agree is a plus.



You will need a wreath form, tinsel, straight pins, and about 5 minutes of your time.



I got a wreath form made of straw instead of the standard foam. I have no idea why. I started to unwrap the plastic from it, but the straw began to litter the floor of the craft room like a barn, so I just kept the plastic on. It matters not since it will soon be covered in tinsel. However, do not get a wicker wreath form because your pins won't hold the tinsel to the wicker.

Start by securing one end of your tinsel to the wreath form with a straight pin. Then proceed to wrap the tinsel around the wreath form, stopping every few times to fluff up the tinsel and make sure your rows are tight enough. If they're loose, just scoot the rows of tinsel closer together. This project is very forgiving.



My first string of tinsel (15 feet) got me almost halfway around the wreath. When you finish a string, simply use a straight pin to secure both the end of the previous string and the beginning of the new string to the wreath form. Then continue winding.



When you finish, secure the final end of the string to the wreath form with a pin. I'm using a floral pin here because I didn't have the other kind. Man, I need a manicure.



Now stand back and admire your handiwork and think about where you will put it. Sparkly!



Adding some much-needed red to the fireplace. But there's still something missing.



Thankfully, I had a few feet of tinsel leftover. That does the trick.



Fun. Easy. Sparkly. A delight.

No comments: