Thursday, May 23, 2013

Exit, pursued by a bear.



So, last night my friend and I went to see The Winter's Tale at the National Shakespeare Theater. This is one of Shakespeare's odder plays, starting out with three acts of high drama and heartbreak, then whipping us into scenes of mirth and merriment and downright silliness, and then back to heartbreaking drama. It's also the play containing his most famous and strangest stage direction: "Exit, pursued by a bear." And yes, there was a bear. I think that was the indication that we were entering the silliness section of the play.





Despite the emotional whiplash, it was really good and beautifully performed. It also had gorgeous original music performed by troubadours onstage.

The actor playing King Leontes also plays Dr. Gablehauser, Sheldon's boss on Big Bang Theory, and my friend kept saying things like, "I noticed when Dr. Gablehauser accused his wife of adultery..."

Ooh, also, before the show we went to Luke's for lobster rolls and now I'm dreaming of having those for every meal.

Every. Single. Meal.

No comments: