Tuesday, May 14, 2013

"Now the story of a wealthy man who lost everything. And the one next-door neighbor who had no choice but to keep them all together."


This weekend I went to see The Great Gatsby with Jen. I thought it was a pretty good adaptation of the book, despite Eric declaring it was no good for "many reasons," none of which he could articulate, and despite Tobey Maguire being miscast as Nick. (Don't you find Tobey Maguire is often miscast? Just me?)

Anyway, I stumbled upon these, and it just goes to show that the wisdom of the Bluths is eternal.









Find more of them here.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

So it was good? Based on the previews I'm worried about seeing it, although the cinematography looks great.

And those screencaps are hilarious. Love it.

Ali said...

I liked it a lot. I love Baz Lurhmann's work, so that was a big part of it, and I thought it was a pretty solid adaptation.

Now, I love that book and it has prose that will make you weak, and no one is going to be able to capture that on film. And can any filmmaker truly do justice to a book you truly love? The Lord of the Rings films probably came the closest anyone will ever come and still, more than a decade later, I will not shut up about the disgrace that is Faramir taking the ring or how Denethor got shortchanged in the character development process. So nothing will ever hit the jackpot, is what I'm saying. The Perks of Being a Wallflower was adapted by its own author and still I was like, "Hmmm, that guy is not quite right in that role." But having said that, yes, I thought it was good. I wouldn't nominate it for Best Picture (Best Costume Design - oh, yes) but I liked it a lot and I thought it effectively captured just how sad this story is and how deluded Gatsby was and how infuriating a character Daisy is and how Tom is that guy that makes you uncomfortable to be around but you don't want to admit that to anyone else and be "that person" so you just let him slap you on the back and shove a drink into your hands and hope for the best.

Yes, I thought it was good.