Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Oh man, I got so played.

So I was trolling the Sci Fi channel website, trying to find out when they're going to supply me with a new season of BSG, and I saw a preview for a TV movie, Tin Man, a modern take on the Wizard of Oz. It looked interesting and I like Zooey Deschanel and I really like Neal McDonough, so I decided to check it out. Things were going smoothly, but as I approached the two-hour mark, and I started to get this feeling, like "Hmmm, how are they going to wrap this up in the next few minutes?"

You know that feeling. Nothing good ever comes of that feeling. That feeling immediately precedes the "To Be Continued" screen. So I was annoyed that it was a two nighter thing, but I somehow got sucked into the second night anyway. Imagine my shock, nay, my horror, when it all happened again. I was approaching the four-hour mark, and that awful feeling came back. I sat up on the couch and shrieked, "How can they be doing this to me again!" I checked the TV guide, found that the third night was the last, and buckled down to invest two more hours, because I was not prepared to cut my losses. After four hours I deserved to see how it ended.

Well, my long national nightmare is finally over, and now I realize that I just invested six hours, six hours in something that wasn't all that great. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great, or even terribly good. That's time I could have invested a repeat viewing of Pride and Prejudice, or half of Band of Brothers, or 12 consecutive viewings of that episode of Sports Night where Isaac takes Luther Sachs to task on the air for supporting a university that flies the Confederate Flag. Oh man, that episode is so, so good.

And now I find out that the new season of BSG isn't coming until March, when I was previously promised January. Oh Sci Fi, you got me good. You played me like a cheap piano. I hope you're proud of yourself!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Played you like a cheap toy piano.

Zooey Deschanel, never pulled it off for me. I felt like she couldn't act her way out of a paper bag in this one. Plus, I mean come on, her name is DG... That was so unnatural...like penguins. This is SciFi...they killed of MST3K for crappy movies. BattleStar G, is an a diamond in the ruff, wit the ruff being in the middle of a pile of Shhhhhhaving cream. Be nice and clean, shave everyday and you'll always be keen.

Ali said...

Oh James, you've been sniffing glue again, haven't you? I think it may be time for another intervention.

Yeah, it wasn't Zooey's best work, but let's not forget she didn't have much of a script to work with. Some of that dialogue, oooh, it was just embarrassing.