Thursday, May 1, 2008

Apparently I'm killing this planet. And seven others.

Check out this interesting site in which you answer questions about your lifestyle to find out how many planets it would take to sustain 6.6 billion people who live the way you do. You get to pick your character and your neighborhood. I picked a little residential area similar to the one I live in now. You go through the questions and your town changes based on the answers you give. Before all was said and done, my town looked like north Jersey.

When I answered the question about how much trash I throw out, a big landfill appeared not far from my backyard. When I answered the question about how much I shop, the Super Huge Mart popped up not far from the landfill. And through it all, the smoking stacks of the local power plant loomed over my house, no doubt borne of my answer to the energy use question.

The fact that I don’t recycle really hurt me, as I jumped from 2.4 earths to 3.7 earths after answering that set of questions. My laziness cost me 1.3 planets! That seems unfair.

And this question:

What percent of your meals each month are prepared for you outside your home?

Oh dear. Cost me 3.4 planets. Way harsh, people.

In the end, I found I would need 8.1 earths to sustain 6.6 billion Allisons. Not that that would matter anyway because the bickering between so many Allisons would surely result in the complete breakdown of society and possibly a nuclear war.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha, 4.4 earth's and I'll be getting better. Eat that Stombrat!

Liz said...

Only 3.8! I'm sure it had to do with the amount of gasoline I'm saving by not working anymore. see, good for me AND the environment.

Anonymous said...

I only need 4.2. Not bad for a family of 3.

Unknown said...

6.8 for me. The number of miles that I drive each month really hurt me!

Ali said...

Not as much as my take-out habits hurt me. Apparently I might as well be eating petroleum flavored styrofoam on a non-biodegradeable plastic platter while spritzing myself with chlorofluorocarbons.

Amanda said...

4.9? That's insane! Apparently, just because I cook my food at home doesn't mean I'm any better for the environment. Apparently, the environment doesn't appreciate my fondness of meat! And I thought my recycling habits (or lack there of) would be my biggest downfall. Nope it's my love of meat. I am not about to be vegetarian - does that make me selfish?

Ali said...

Your love of meat? What kind of pinko commies run that website, anyway?

Sorry, Kris.