Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Get this: I cooked

So, I cooked dinner for myself last night. (I know, right?) I made sauteed zucchini and squash, which is generally a side dish, but I love it so much I made it the main course.


While I cooked I had planned to munch on this edamame that I picked up this weekend. I love edamame and usually only get it when I go out for Japanese. When we visited Melissa in Arizona I had the best edamame of my life at this place she took us to. It was seasoned with coarse salt so when you popped the beans into your mouth you got some salt from the pods. Fabulous. The stuff I bought was already shelled and I planned to toss it with some kosher salt, but the beans had a funny taste so I tossed it in the trash instead. How disappointing! Also, it drove me to a much less healthy pre-dinner snack: onion and garlic potato chips. Alas, we must make do.


Here's a shot of my thin slices of squash. The thinness is the key. I don't know if you can tell, but that knife handle is blue, so I had a sweet little primary color thing going on.


And here they are together. What a festive pair, with that bright green and yellow.


Here's the end product. What makes this so great is the same thing that makes popcorn so great: butter and salt. I enjoyed this so much I kept burning my tongue because I didn't want to wait for it to cool down.

After making this, I starting thinking about what awesome kitchen tools I should have now that I'm actually cooking, and here's the list I made:

mandoline
julienne slicer
larger chicken fryer pan
wok???

If someone had thrown me into a Pampered Chef party in that frame of mind, who knows what kind of financial ruin I'd have incurred. The horror.


And to end, here's my new rainboot planter. There's a little strawberry garden growing inside, but I admit I only bought it because it's so little and cute and bright red.

6 comments:

Liz said...

wait, wait..."now that you're cooking"? Like, it's going to be a thing that you do often? I don't even know what to say. The next thing I know you'll be touching raw meat.

Ali said...

There will be no raw meat. In fact, this cooking thing probably won't even be a thing. I'll probably be ordering pizza tonight.

Amanda said...

I find that the edamame that is unshelled tastes better. And you can't overcook it, or it will taste nasty. At the Sam's down here, they have a box of 8 "servings"... you pop the little serving tray in the microwave for 3 minutes, pull them out and toss them with the salt that it comes with and they are perfect :o)

Kristen said...

I have to say I'm shocked, but you really should keep it up. Cooking is awesome. I use my stove/oven nearly every night. Now that I've said that I should probably tell you my dinner tonight was a bowl of cereal.

But you've discovered edamame! Delicious stuff. You do know you can buy it frozen and pop the whole thing as is in the microwave and it steams perfectly in the bag? Oh yes.

Ali said...

Thanks Manderz, I will keep an eye out for them next time I'm at Sam's. I expected the shelled variety to be substandard (I mean, half the fun of edamame is popping the pod open) but I haven't noticed the non-shelled variety anywhere. At least part of that is because I am rarely in a grocery store.

Kris, where are you finding your frozen edamame?

Kristen said...

You can buy it at Giant around me, so maybe you could try Giant Eagle? They're not shelled, so your popping fun will be intact.