Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Oscar round-up: who needs to burn that dress, who needs to carry on just so, and who needs to eat a sandwich.


I was going to write about this earlier in the week, but I have come down with a case of something or other. My head simultaneously feels heavy as lead and like it’s going to float away and take my limbs with it just to be spiteful. Blasted pseudoephedrine.

So, we had the Oscar party and most of the people who read this blog were there, but for those who weren't, it was awesome, the food was fantastic (except for my molten chocolate cakes, which I sort of gave up on), and the games were so much fun. Jen won most of them, but I think Liz and Melis got a win or two as well.

The awards weren't much of a surprise. Things I loved:

1. Neil Patrick Harris!
2. Steve and Alec’s snide remarks to each other and snide stares at George Clooney, who snidely stared right back
3. Sandra Bullock's hilarious/moving/delightful acceptance speech
4. Tina Fey and Robert Downey Jr. sniping at each other in their presentation of the screenplay award
5. Ben Stiller painted blue and acknowledging just how humiliating it all was
6. A tribute to John Hughes!
7. The lovely presentation of the Best Actor/Actress awards with tributes from the nominees' past co-stars (Oprah calling Gaby Sidibe an American Cinderella! Colin Farrell talking about sharing a pillow with Jeremy Renner during a drunken weekend in Mexico! Love it!)
8. The Hurt Locker winning a much deserved Best Picture Oscar

There were some annoyances:
1. Edward Scissorhands is not a horror movie so get it out of that montage.
2. In The Loop should have owned that Adapted Screenplay award.
3. Who is this crazy woman taking over the speech for the Short Documentary award?
4. Barbra Streisand, stop trying to make this moment about you and just read the flippin' winner's name.

But aside from all that, I thought it was a great show. Now, on to the fashion!

Looks I loved:


Had she worn a red dress, I would have won my Oscar Bingo game, but this looked great. She came prepared for the accessory she’d be taking home.


They don’t call her Queen for nothing.


Perhaps not the best color (she looks a little washed out in some photos) but I still think it’s my favorite dress of the night. So dreamy and feminine and it fits perfectly.


Stunning, age appropriate, bon appétit.


She’s 59 and she consistently looks better than any 20 year-old starlet. It’s almost disgusting.


Divine.


So fabulous.


The shades, the bowtie, the Kicks. Could you love him more?


And can I just take a moment to say that Christoph Waltz is perhaps the most adorable man I have ever seen? He is so precious. I want to wrap him up and put him in my pocket and just keep him next to me like my pet. And maybe take him out every once in a while to pinch his cheeks. I'm so taken with him.

Ahem. Perhaps I've allowed you a little too far into my psyche.

Looks I loathed:


Your dress should not look like it's groping you. It's just bad form.


Is that bubble wrap? It's like a Project Runway challenge. “You must create an Oscar gown using only what you find in this Fed Ex facility. Make it work!”


When did Nicole Ritchie turn 70 and retire to Del Boca Vista?


Maggie, this is the Oscars. Really.


"All I can say is that my life is pretty plain. I like watching the puddles gather rain..."


James Cameron and his wife, Skeletor.


Mariah Carey is a beautiful girl with the means to hire an army of stylists. So why does she so often look trashy? It makes me a little sad.


I usually give SJP a little extra leeway because I feel she's earned it. But that is a satin sack and there's nothing to be done for it. And when you know you're going to be presenting an award with Tom Ford (who dons tuxedos as loungewear) you have to look extra-specially good. Fail.


I wanted to love this, but I found I could not. I like ruffles and sparkles and graduated shades of purple and slits up the skirt and the delightful Zoe Saldana. I just don't like them all together at once.

And now I settle in for the long wait 'til next year's Oscars.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A few added comments:

Since when did Mariah Carey get boobs? Or was she just trying to "Flaunt" them?

Demi's and Anna Kendrick's shoes? Were they wearing the same ones? And how did they walk in them?

And speaking of Anna..Loved her dress, but I thought her hair style looked sloppy.

And Nicole Ritchie's dress looks like something Elizabeth Taylor would wear!

Kristen said...

Can I just say I am in total agreement about Skeletor. Every time the camera flashed over to James Cameron and his bony spouse (which was more frequently than I would have liked), I cringed and wondered at what point food became so repulsive to her.

Liz said...

She should never wear her hair up like that. If you look at other pictures her long hair camouflages her protruding bones.

Amanda said...

What recipe did you use for your Molten Lava Cakes? I have a no-fail one from Paula Dean that EVERYONE loves... it's super easy! :o)

Ali said...

Wolfgang Puck. I don't think the problem was so much the recipe as it was me waiting too long to put them in the oven and then the Oscars started and I abandoned them because I wasn't missing a moment of the Oscars.

Are the Paula Dean ones the ones you made for the Italians' farewell dinner at Jennifer's house? Those were perfect.

Amanda said...

Yes, that would be the recipe. They could sit - I actually made them ahead of time and put them in the fridge overnight one time but taking them out of the oven at the right time is the most important part. Here ya go... if you ever want to try them again :o)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/molten-lava-cakes-recipe/index.html

PS - I didn't add the orange liquer because I didn't have it on hand.