Thursday, October 18, 2012

Ballet!


Last night I attended a performance of Cinderella at the Kennedy Center. It was performed by the Mariinsky Ballet of St. Petersburg and it was magnificent.


The ballerina who danced Cinderella was exquisite. Floating on air and moving like liquid. She even made Cinderella's rags costume look good. The man who danced the prince is, I think, a big deal in the ballet world. They were both just marvelous.



I had a front row seat, overlooking the full orchestra, and it was all awesome. I snapped this rather blurry photo just to show my friend J, who loves sitting where you can see the orchestra. It was soon after that that they made the announcement reminding us that all photography was forbidden. Oops.

J texted back that he envied me the orchestra, but not the ballet.



Alas, the rules did not stop me from snapping a pic of this fellow during the first intermission. I couldn't stop myself. I just loved the tufty hair sticking out from under the great big horn and I knew I'd regret leaving this photo behind. Luckily taking a photo with an iPhone of someone ten feet below you looks an awful lot like sending a text message.

Also, while I was in line in the Ladies’ Room, a woman came in and asked excitedly, "Are you guys going to the ballet? I had a guy ask me if I was going to the ballet and he wasn't gay!"

 Jackpot.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

So how did you get front row? Does th ballet have a lottery?

Ali said...

Nope. I just bought my ticket early. I signed up for the Kennedy Center email list and they send out reminders of when things go on sale. I got an awesome seat for War Horse next week that way.

Kristen said...

The ballet! And I love your photo of the horn player. Is that a keyboard I see in the reflection?

Ali said...

Good eye, Kris! The keyboard players were in the row behind him.