Saturday, October 20, 2012

Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered...


Well, I am elated. I just got back from a midnight showing of the ultimate film about growing up and leaving childish things behind, but still hanging on to your dreams, about using brains and logic to make your own way, trusting what’s inside yourself while learning to rely on true friends, and being strong and smart and not letting your head be turned by pretty, shiny things, and all to an awesome David Bowie soundtrack. Oh yes, that’s right: Labyrinth.

Sir Didymus and Ambrocious are still my favorite.

James and Kristen, do you remember when I visited you for a week in Philly in the late 80s and I made myself odious to you by forcing you to watch that movie every single day? That must be why I was able to sit in the theater and say every line along with the actors.

The theater was packed with my kind of people, all saying the lines (there is no movie theater shushing in situations like these) and belting out the words to “Dance Magic Dance” right along with the goblin king. I was sitting in front of a couple in full Jareth and Sarah costume and, appropriately, he was wearing more eyeliner than she. 

My people.

He moves the stars for no one.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Do we remember, she asks. How could we forget is maybe a better question. :) I really love that movie, but frankly at the time I was a little creeped out by most of it (not the least of which involved David Bowie's outfits).

Ali said...

Yeah, those pants... that was a bit much. It still is.