Wednesday, October 23, 2013

My long national state nightmare is over.


Today I finally got my car, which I purchased in Pennsylvania, registered in Virginia.

It was a two-month saga that involved (and these are just the highlights):

1. Breaking down and crying on the phone with a PA DMV employee to the point where I frightened him,

2. Visiting the Virginia DMV six times and being given seven different instructions by eight separate employees (The seventh set of instructions were finally correct, and I can't even credit them to Virginia, since they came from the PA DMV guy that I frightened, and then I just ran them past the Virginia people and they were all, "Sounds good to us! I guess? We have no idea what we're doing!" or something like that.),

3. Being told by a Virginia DMV manager that I would have to return the car to PA and get my money back because I couldn't drive it in Virginia, and

4. Me going on a rant in Liz and Zack’s living room about how we need to abolish all state government. All of it!

Liz told me I was taking things too far, but I’m still not sure.

After all of that, the state of Virginia graciously allowed me to pay them an exorbitant amount in fees and sales tax. State sales tax.

Yeah.


3 comments:

Dad said...

Abolish state government? In favor of a strong central government. And you a Virginian! The times they are a changin.

Ali said...

No, Dad, just in favor of people who will let me buy a car where I want to and drive it where I want to without causing me a mental breakdown.

And I will forever be a Pennsylvanian. Keystone State 4eva!

Kristen said...

I believe I came into the room in the smack middle of that rant and wisely decided not to interrupt and ask what the heck. But now I see it was all justified.