Wednesday, January 29, 2014

"I never travel without my diary.
One should always have something sensational to read in the train."



Tonight I headed downtown for a delightful evening of Oscar Wilde's finest work. I couldn't help myself from mouthing along some of the lines of dialogue, and as I was sitting in the front row, I hope I didn't distract the actors. The play was an utter delight!

"Mr. Worthing! Rise, sir, from this semi-recumbent posture; it is most indecorous!" was just one of the things I was silently saying along with Lady Bracknell.

"You are the most advanced Bunburyist I know."

"Thirty-five is a very attractive age. London society is full of women of the highest birth who have, of their own free choice, remained 35 for years."

Lady Bracknell was played by Sian Phillips, who played the vicious, scheming Livia in "I, Claudius." She doesn't look much older than when she played the wicked empress all those years ago.

And now I want to go watch the Colin Firth/Rupert Everett version and see Judi Dench deliver those withering lines in all her frosty glory.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I can't imagine that the play is better than the Colin Firth/Judy Dench movie. I could watch that once a week. Lots of pretty people to look at.

Ali said...

Oh Linda, it's so true. I kept comparing everyone's performances to that movie in my head. Judi Dench is so incomparable. Especially the scene where she's questioning Jack about the possibility of marrying Gwendolyn. "To be born, or at any rate bred in a handbag, whether it have handles or not, seems to me to display a contempt for the ordinary decencies of family life which reminds one of the worst excesses of the French revolution!"

Now I desperately want to rewatch that movie, which will make me want to rewatch An Ideal Husband and before you know it I'll have stayed up all night.