Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Short Films


This past weekend I had the delight of crossing off ten items from my Oscar list. Ten! How, you ask? Well, they're the short films. Easily seen in the space of an afternoon, but major pay-off for the list-crosser-offer.

Some highlights:

Get a Horse


If you've seen Frozen (and if not, what's wrong with you?), you'll have seen this cute short that cleverly mixes classic Disney animation with modern work.

Room on the Broom


This is based on a beloved children's book, and it was such a delight. I really hope it wins. (The fact that it's narrated by my beloved Simon Pegg doesn't hurt matters.)

The Voorman Problem


This is my pick for live-action short. You may think it's because it has Martin Freeman, whom I adore, and Tom Hollander, whose name in the credits fills me with delight every time, but it's really because it's such a fun little short. It's about a man in a prison for the criminally insane who is convinced he's a god (and has convinced the other prisoners of the same), and the psychiatrist who is called in to treat him. And what a treat it was.

Do I Have to Take Care of Everything


This one's about a harried family trying to get ready for a wedding after they've slept in and various other things have gone terribly wrong. I think the picture says it all.

No comments: