Monday, March 24, 2014

The simplest terms, the most convenient definitions.



Thirty (fictitious) years ago today, a brain, an athlete, a basketcase, a princess, and a criminal walked into Shermer High School to serve a day of detention. In their honor, I spent the evening watching one of John Hughes’ masterpieces.


Something I noticed was how many lines from this movie I still quote on a regular basis. These include:

You keep eating your hand, you’re not gonna be hungry for lunch. (Said often to teething babies.)

Could you describe the ruckus, sir? (You’d be surprised how often I can work this into a conversation.)

You mess with the bull, young man, you get the horns. (Inflection is key here.)

Do you think I’d speak for you? I don’t even know your language. (Said in response to “Speak for yourself.” Every time.)

I’m not that pristine. (Many uses.)

Screws fall out all the time; the world’s an imperfect place. (Sometimes I just say it to myself when things are not going well.)

Sadly, I rarely get the chance to ask this: Does Barry Manilow know you raid his wardrobe?

Still one of the best lines of dialog ever written.


It’s March 24th. Settle in, make yourself a pixie stix/Cap’n Crunch sandwich, and write a 1,000-word essay on who you think you are. 

And I do not mean a single word repeated 1,000 times.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I’m not that pristine. - this is so you