Friday, November 2, 2007

Sono così spiacente ho battuto quello sopra ed ho fatto un mess.

I’m going to Italy soon, and aside from learning the Italian for, “I’m so sorry I knocked that over and made a mess,” I’ve been reading about the country from whence my ancestors came, and I’ve learned some interesting stuff:

Italy is the world’s largest producer of lemons, and as such, there are plenty of lemon-based drinks, dishes, and pastries to be tried. And I’m going to try them all.

The lines to see The Last Supper in Milan are ludicrous, and we have Dan Brown to blame for it.

For every Venetian resident there are two pigeons and four rats. Great. It’ll be just like being back on the Subway.

The Roman Catholic Church claims that the actual body of the actual Apostle Peter is actually buried under St. Peter’s Basilica. Sorry dudes, I just don’t buy it.

Pope Benedict XVI does not grant private audiences. That practice went out with the death of John Paul II. But I’m still hoping to catch a glimpse of the popemobile when I’m at the Vatican, bullet-proof bubble and all.

Venetian gondolas travel about three miles an hour (the same as walking) and are always painted with six coats of black paint, because in the 17th century the Doge enacted a law to eliminate competition between nobles for the fanciest boat. Well, sorry for you if your gondola gets stolen.

Police Officer: Describe the missing boat.
Screwed Gondolier: Well, it’s black…

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I would love to see you get a picture with the Pope!

Jimmy Jam said...

popemobile?!?!?!


nanananananananananananananananannaannanaanananananananannanananananana Popeman!

Ali said...

Ha! I love it! By day, he's the illustrious pontiff. By night, he's fighting crime throughout Vatican City. Him and his sidekick Cardinal, the boy wonder.

James, we need to write a comic book together.