Monday, October 26, 2009

The smiley face shackles are coming off.


So, I went to Wal-Mart on Friday. Foolish, I know, but I needed to scan some photos so I could post them on Facebook. I spent about an hour scanning photos and when I tried to add my name and number to the order, the computer froze and lost all of my photos. As you can imagine, I was in a state. I had just spent an hour in Wal-Mart, a place I despise like poison, and it was all for nothing.

To her credit, the woman at the photo center was very sympathetic and apologetic, which was a nice surprise since Wal-Mart employees usually either growl at me or ignore me. I told her it wasn't her fault and that I understood there was nothing she could do, but still I was in a tizzy. I packed up my things and exclaimed to myself (and whoever else was in earshot), "Oh, this is such a horrible place! I hate it here so much!"

And then I left, because it is a horrible place and I do hate it there so much. It's the opposite of Holly Golightly's romanticized view of Tiffany's; whenever you go there something horrible happens to you. Or you end up screaming obscenities at your spouse. Each time I enter the building I invariably leave wishing it would burn to the ground, so why do I go back? If I knew a person who made me feel this way I'd avoid him at all costs. Therefore I have decided to avoid Wal-Mart from now on, for my own mental health. We don't like each other, Wal-Mart and I, so it's time to chuck this abusive relationship. I will be purchasing groceries at the grocery store, health and beauty items at the drug store, crafty items at Michael's, and everything else at Target. And, so help me, if I have to buy an entire photo-processing station and house it in my sunroom, I will never be the victim of a frozen scanner again. Freedom!

Days I've been Wal-Mart-free: 3

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought for $150 an HP All-in one printer/scanner/copier/Photo printer. And I love it. I never have to fight the crappy photo lines at Wal-Mart again.

Ali said...

Well, I suppose this is the part where I admit that I own an HP All-in one printer/scanner/copier/Photo printer, but I have never figured out how to work the scanner. I'm like those elderly people who never bothered to figure out how to set their VCRs.

Anonymous said...

Well, if it's like mine, you have to insert a memory card, press Scan, follow the instructions to save it to your card. Then when you're done insert the card back into your camera and hook your camera up to your computer to upload the pics to FB. yeah, it's a P.I.A. but it's still better than Wal-Mart.

Jimmy Jam said...

megs, is your printer even hooked up to your computer?

Ali said...

It sounds like it wouldn't need to be for this type of operation. I never thought about scanning them directly to a memory card, but that would be so much easier. I'm going to try that tonight.

Kristen said...

But Ali, if you boycott Wal-Mart where else are you going to hear people screaming obscenities at their spouses? Or see the terrible outfits customers wear? The way the cashiers yell conversations across the aisles and ignore you completely? The entertainment you'll miss!

Ali said...

Fear not, Kris. I can get all my Wal-Mart-based entertainment right here:

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Anonymous said...

James, Yes it's hookes up to my computer. But for some reason the Scan options do not allow it to scan to the computer directly. Or if it does , i haven't figured it out. I'm like Ali, I don't read my manuals. But none the less, I do really like it. And it prints nice photos.

Zackery David said...

I hope to see an occasional "Days I've been Wal-Mart-free" update in future posts. Achieve your dreams Ali, you have the support of your family behind you.

Jimmy Jam said...

megs...there is this new thing called "reading". you might want to find the manual and try it out.

Using your cameras battery to off load the photos is a drain on the battery and it only has a few hundred recharges before it dies.

Ali said...

Zack, I will defintely be updating my Wal-Mart free-ness. Thank you for your support.

James, it is nice to know you're just as sarcastic as ever. And you still haven't submitted a song for the Christmas CD. Slacker.

Anonymous said...

James, I have just one thing to say - Bite me!....j.k.

What can I say. I like to figure things out on my own. Plus I can't find where I put the manuals to several of our things. They got lost somewhere in our move.

Jimmy Jam said...

Next time I see Olivia I'll teach her to bite people.

And there is this new thing called the "Internet" your manuals are out there somewhere. remember: giyf = google is your friend.