Tuesday, October 5, 2010

In Newark, no one can hear you whine.

So, I'm currently slogging my way through The Sopranos. And yes, "slogging" is the appropriate verb here. I'm watching it because it's consistently on the critics' lists of groundbreaking, brilliant television. It is interesting, but I have one major problem: there's not one single character I can bear. Not one. In fact, I loathe them all. The ruthless main character, his harpy wife, his horrible children, his awful uncle with the Coke bottle glasses, his eeeeevil mother, and his army of goons--each one more murderous and psychotic than the last. I survey them much like the Bingley sisters looking upon the Meryton assembly (if the Bingley sister had been totally correct and not shrewish witches.)

Not helping matters is the nasal Jersey accent everyone is sporting. That's not cool. That's not enjoyable to ear.

And the problem is not just that they're awful people. Believe me, I know from liking awful people on TV. The list of horrendous characters I've liked would appall you. Shane Vendrell, Al Swearengen, I even like the entire cast of It's Always Sunny! Well, except for Dennis. Obviously.

And these people are not even Sicilian! They're from Campania. I know. That shouldn't make me look down on them, but it totally does.

I may have just talked myself out of watching this show.


Hateful, awful people, led by their king.

No comments: