Monday, June 20, 2011

You don’t know how I suffer.

Short story: I have an earworm and it's driving me mad.

Medium-length story: This weekend I went with J to Harrisburg for our friend Melissa's birthday party. We listen to the 80s station on Sirius when we roadtrip, and this weekend there was a particularly awesome run of 1984 hits that was strangely punctuated by a hideous song from 1987. Breakout by Swing Out Sister. Wretched. If one song were going to infiltrate my brain, it couldn't be Footloose or When Doves Cry; it had to be that clunker.

I have tried everything. Listening to other songs, singing other things in my head, Liz's Billie Jean trick... nothing WORKS. I am suffering. It's not unlike the two weeks I spent in Mississippi with Murray Head's One Night In Bangkok torturing me. Swing Out Sister is vicious.

There are, like, two people who read this blog who will know that song, and to those people, I sincerely apologize for passing my earworm on to you. It is inexcusable, but I am in pain and I cannot be responsible for my actions.

4 comments:

Liz said...

It's sad that Billie Jean failed you, although I'm going to assume that it was user error.

Try listening to, and singing, the entire song that's stuck in your head. Whole thing from beginning to end. It has been known to work...and really, it can't get any worse, right? :)

Liz said...

also, you've been reading an awful lot of books about serial killers and psychopaths...so you may want to fix this problem sooner rather then later. just sayin.

Ali said...

Yeah. I need to work some lighter fare into my summer reading.

Jimmy Jam said...

three words: dexy midnight runners