Wednesday, July 20, 2011

If you hear that someone died of heatstroke on the tilt-a-whirl, that was me.

So, I had planned to go to Idlewild today with Melis, Jen, and Jules. But this morning I looked at the weather forecast and saw it would be a high of 95.

Ninety five. Sweet fancy Moses.

So, of course I called Jen, thinking perhaps she might be reluctant to take Julia out in such heat. No dice. She argued the pool, the plentiful shade, and the excitement of her child who would be devastated if we didn't go. I considered bowing out of the trip, but then Jules wanted to get on the phone and talk to me. She asked me, in her wonderfully unique syntax...

Julia: You would like to come to Idlewild today?
Ali: Oh...
Julia: We can ride the rides!
Ali: Oh... Well.. Um... Okay.
Julia: Okay!

Oh guys, pray for me.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I'm frankly a little worried that you should long be back from the park by now and we have yet to hear of your survival.

Ali said...

I made it back alive. I actually handled it really well. Even Jen and Melis said so. The mental preparation was key. Also, a tank top, wetting my hair before leaving, and sucking down more water than was in that wave pool.

Kristen said...

Ooo, wetting your hair was a really smart idea. When we were there I fully planned on making use of that sprinkler thing they have by the Ferris Wheel (I think), but they didn't have it turned on. I think they wanted us to suffer.