Tuesday, July 12, 2011

She said she liked it better than Pirates of Penzance.


I was in Pittsburgh tonight and I noticed that a movie theater there had a one-night-only 3D showing of the ballet Giselle. It was performed at the Mariinsky Theatre in St. Petersburg and broadcast to 160 theaters in the US, and I just happened to happen upon one of them. So, of course I had to check it out.

Let me just tell you, I was transported. Normally I hate 3D, but this 3D really helped create the illusion that you were actually in the Mariinsky Theatre and had scored a really great ticket. The entire cast was wonderful, but the ballerina who danced Giselle was something else entirely. She was otherworldly, almost supernatural. When she leapt into the air, you would swear she broke the bonds of gravity for a moment, so that she seemed to hang in the air a second longer than she should have. The effect was mesmerizing. It was like seeing her defy the laws of physics.

Wonderful. Wonderful.

No comments: