Saturday, July 16, 2011

I'll be roaming about Salzburg dressed up in nothing but some old drapes and having a marvelous time.


So, the family and I are all set for our trip to Munich, Salzburg, and Vienna in September.

Things I have learned from the trip planning experience:

1. I could never be a travel agent.
2. Oktoberfest actually occurs in September.
3. In Germany, dogs are allowed in restaurants.

I am super excited for this trip. Being the crazy-organized planner that I am (I already have two Excel spreadsheets created for this trip--there will be more), I've got a list of stuff I want to do before we leave:

1. Find the perfect bag.

It has to be light but tough, small but roomy, and it must be in backpack form. I have walked all over a lot of different cities, and there's nothing like a backpack for keeping your shoulders from aching and your hands free for your camera. I have already purchased a small padlock to discourage pesky pickpockets, but I must find the bag!

2. Learn a bit of German so that I have a base to build upon when we get there.

This strategy served me well in Italy where, by the end of our trip, I had learned enough Italian to have a halting conversation with a local. (I was extremely fluent in ordering gelato.) Unfortunately, some evil person checked the level 1 German language CDs out of my local library three years ago and has yet to return them. I don't even want to contemplate that fine. On second thought, yes I do. I hope it's dreadful. I'm not about to go straight to level 2, so I'll need to figure something out. The only German I know is the little bit I picked up in the concentration camp scene in Band of Brothers.

3. Learn how to better use my Nikon.

There are going to be lots of amazing photography opportunities as we wander all over the Alps. I'd like to make the most of them.

4. Establish a packing plan that Rick Steves would, if not be proud of, at least not sneer at.

Mr. Steves is the guru of packing light. And by that I mean "travel for three months and live out of a small backpack." I'll never achieve that level of madness, but my dream is to be able to carry on my luggage for a Europe trip. Hopefully, this will be the time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. German continuing education at the local college

2. Rossetta stone

3. get yourself a tutor

4. (not to shabby) iPhone/ipod touch app - http://www.nibirutech.com/apps/translator

5. now you want to learn your camera?

6. No such thing as a perfect bag...coming from a camera guy and a new hiker. There is always that one bag that is greener on the other side.

Megan said...

Check with Jeremiah, in church, Ali. He took German in college. He might still have his books. I'm sure he'll let you borrow them.

And James is right - no such thing as a perfect bag. But if you want a backpack that's small, try Dunhams or a Dicks sporting goods. they sell small hiking backpaks that might suit you.

Kristen said...

I just went to the library today to pick up some German books, only to discover that the measly few they had there were all from the 70s and far from helpful. Dear Barnes & Noble: I eagerly await a coupon for your store. Never mind you've never offered them before.