Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Packing for Germany and Austria

It has long been a dream of mine to carry on my luggage for a trip abroad. A lofty goal considering I can barely do that for a weekend in Houston. When I went to Italy I took a suitcase large enough for three people. Not three people's stuff. Three people. But even that was a step up from my trip to England seven months prior, when I packed like Rose DeWitt Bukater.

For Germany I was determined to do better, if not go whole hog and just carry on everything. Tonight I assembled it all to see if carrying on was possible or just a sad little pipe dream.

I started out by making an extensive packing list. Oh, how I love lists. Then, I assembled everything I planned to take on my bed:


Whilst doing this, I checked things off my list which, as you know, is the whole point of making a list.



These packing cubes are a life saver. They keep everything so organized and I swear they shrink the size of the clothes you pack. It's some sort of witchcraft.



The toiletry/comfort items section includes my beloved neck pillow, a constant companion on trips, as well as a full-to-bursting quart bag of liquids. Hopefully the TSA folks don't bark at me for packing it so tight. I eagerly await the day when the regulations expand it to a gallon bag.

The yellow clutch wallet was a present from Kris. It has sections for American dollars and Euros, pockets for ID and credit cards, and a zippered section for all the ticket stubs I'll be saving. And on the front is a retro 80s mix tape. In short, it is perfect.

Also, I'm taking Sharpies. I don't like to be without Sharpies.


The tech stuff and chargers take up quite a bit of space, but I could never leave them behind. And then there is the ubiquitous Rick Steves travel book.



And here's what I'm praying it all fits into. I'd just like to take a moment to mention this this suitcase is two entire linear inches smaller than the maximum allowed for carry-on luggage. I'm trying not to think about what I could do with those extra two inches.



Halfway in, two pairs of shoes and two large packing cubes down, but four small packing cubes and a bunch of toiletries to go. Can it be done?



Turns out it can. Behold! All of my stuff for 8 days in a foreign country and all of it will accompany me personally onto a Lufthansa jet. There is a nice space in the top of that backpack for the camera with which I took this photo, and I didn't even unzip the puff out section on the suitcase. Quite frankly, I cannot believe it.

Bon voyage to us all!

7 comments:

Liz said...

I can't either....

but as a fellow over-packer, I am extremely impressed.

Kristen said...

I am so glad you posted this. I was just looking at my list and thinking there was no way I could cram everything in, but now I have newfound hope.

Ali said...

You can do it, Kristen! Stay strong!

Debby told me that Emily is going to try to carry on as well. We're starting something here.

Megan said...

I never overpack for myself, but I do all the time for the kids!...oh and my key to NOT overpacking for myself is to limit your toiletries and remember you can wear jeans more than once. Rolling you shirts instead of folding them also can save space, plus it makes them less wrinkled. And I know mom has used those vaccum bags, that suck the air out. It saved her on their Alaskan cruise because they had to take so many different types of outfits.

Jimmy Jam said...

This amazing!

Miracles do occur!

Linda said...

Remember how I boasted that all of my clothes would fit into a suitcase? Well all of that smugness has bit me in the butt. HARD! I have 6 shirts for an 8-day vacation. I've got some shopping to do.

Unknown said...

I am very impressed!