Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Let the wild rumpus stop



One of my strongest childhood memories was being at my grandmother's house, pulling out her copy of Where the Wild Things Are, and listening to her read it to me. What a great book.


"I think Maurice's book is the first picture book to recognize the fact that children have powerful emotions, anger and love and hate and only after all that passion, the wanting to be 'where someone loved him best of all.'"

-Ursula Nordstrom, Maurice Sendak's editor

3 comments:

Kristen said...

One of my favorite books! A friend directed me to some quotes of his found here, if you're interested (language warning): http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/maurice-sendak-quotes

Ali said...

Those are wonderful! I especially like the ones about childhood being a tricky business (how do we all grow up and choose to forget that?) and about him wishing for a daughter.

Linda said...

This one's my favorite and I live by it. “It is a blessing to get old. It is a blessing to find the time to do the things, to read the books, to listen to the music. … I have nothing now but praise for my life."