Wednesday, March 18, 2009

"Argentina has great beef. Beef and Nazis."

I think I'd like to go to Buenos Aires. South America never held much charm for me, but I recently stumbled upon this article by a man who's reacting to the current recession by quitting his job and moving himself Argentina. Seems reasonable. That article led me to this blog entry, by a man who understands what makes a nation awesome and that if you're going to be number one in the world at something, it might as well be something awesome like beef consumption.

Argentina is number one in the world at beef consumption. Hence, I obviously need to go there. Here's an excerpt:

When the meat is cooked, it is roasted in thick pieces over open coals by obsessive meat chefs who have been cooking meat all their lives, for other people who have been eating meat all their lives, in a country that takes its meat extremely seriously. You are not likely to be disappointed.

I must go!

Argentinian meat has an extraordinary flavor, because Argentina has the world's best cows, apparently because they roam the pampas feasting on wild grass instead of spending their lives cooped up in a cell eating corn-feed. And if they've got the best cows in the world, it only follows that they'd have the best ice cream as well, and by all accounts they do. The country also fetishizes sugar (cubes the size of lego blocks!) and the blog author has discovered the Argentinian joy of dropping 2-liter bags of mayonnaise from a balcony. My question is, how is this not the top tourism destination in the world?

Oh, Kristen, I’m just going to drive you away permanently, aren’t I? Here, just for you:

7 comments:

Kristen said...

Now aren't those veggies far more appealing than having greasy bacon fly across your computer screen?

In related news, my coworker told me Philly is have a Scrapple Event (I hope you know what scrapple is) with several different varieties on hand in a couple weeks. Meat -- in some form or another -- abounds!

Ali said...

Oh, I know what Scrapple is, but I don't know that it can be considered "meat."

Kristen said...

Apparently they will also be offering "vegan scrapple." I didn't want to ask.

Ali said...

I think that was wise.

Anonymous said...

Yum, scrapple. And I'm not sure it can be entirely considered meat either, but it's still good. Vegan scrapple sounds interesting. Ground up veggies and corn meal, is what I'm guessing it would be like.

Anonymous said...

Brian and I ate at an Argentinian restaurant when we were on our honeymoon in Aruba. The place came highly recommended to us by someone Brian knows who frequents Aruba (who does that?) and claims to only eat steak a few times a year but makes it a point to eat at this reataurant at least twice during the week he's in Aruba.

So of course we anticipated a great feast, a hope that motivated us to leave the resort despite a severe case of sun poisoning and navigate the Aruban bus system and visit a scary part of town shortly after Natalie Holloway's disappearance. And...
we were not so impressed. It wasn't an awful meal by any means, but it was very pricy and nothing special.

Dad makes a better steak, and he shops at Stager's.

Ali said...

Yeah, Dad's steak is unparalleled. I don't know what he does to it, but it is just heaven on a plate. I went to the Chop House in DC last week and paid 40 bucks for a Delmonico and it was fabulous, but it wasn't quite like Dad's.

And I'm really glad you didn't get kidnapped and sold into human slavery in Aruba.