Sunday, June 28, 2009

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.


If, like me, you've foolishly been ignoring all the critics who say Friday Night Lights is the best show on TV, and have been thinking, "Oh, I'll get to that eventually," I'm here to tell you that now is the time. No, seriously. Now is the time. It's summer. Netflix the DVDs. If you're one of the 82 school teachers in my family, you really have no excuse.

This show is so, so good. I'm 13 episodes into season 1, and you wanna know my favorite thing about it? Okay, here it is, and I credit Peter Berg with this because he makes very good television: Every time I get frustrated with a character and I want to scream at my TV screen, another character comes along and does the screaming for me. Oh yes. The characters have my meltdowns for me, which saves me so much energy and is extremely satisfying. If I want to scream at Tim that he's being a selfish idiot, Lyla does it for me. If I want to scream at Tim that he's truly ridiculous, Landry does it for me. (Okay, I didn't realize until just now how much I want to scream at Tim.) But this proves to me that the show's writers are in touch with their audience. Or, at least they're in touch with me.

Also, there is a dorky, witty redhead whom I adore (every show should have a dorky, witty redhead) and the depiction of the Taylors' marriage is probably the best on TV right now. Plus, if you went to my high school, the football mania and pep rallys and ginormous buttons with the faces of the football players pinned to their parents' jackets on game night—it's all going to take you down memory lane.

No comments: