Friday, June 26, 2009

So, what has been going on with me?

A quick rundown of the life of Ali:




It’s Thunder In the Valley – the weekend where 20,000 bikers come to J-town and I hide inside my apartment. Don’t get me wrong, I think the festival is great for our fair city—I just don’t like the noise. Also, and this is the real reason I avoid the downtown area during this time, I have this awful horror-fantasy that I will be walking down Market and, in my clumsiness, accidentally bump into one of the bikes parked along the street. Said bike will then tip over and create a domino effect taking down the entire row of bikes parked next to it a la that scene in Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure. And I think we all know I cannot dance on a bar to Tequila in platform shoes to save my life.



I have a sinus infection. A big one. I am miserable and ill and have been spending my evenings sleeping. It is my fault. I have been lazy about using my neti pot and now I’m reaping the whirlwind.

Michael Jackson is dead. I only found out this morning because I went to bed at 5:45 last night (see above.) My clock radio woke me with “Rock With You” and then nine minutes later it woke me again with “Thriller.” That’s when I knew something was up. Confession: when I was 8 years old I had a crush on him. I had a little red purse with his picture on the front. I had plans to marry him. (Little did I know, when I was 8 years old, he might have been interested. Ack.) And I apologize for none of this. In 1985 he was the coolest thing ever. Go back and listen to the Thriller album. It’s like a greatest hits album. The music is so good. And the videos—no one had ever seen dancing like that before. It was years before the full-on freak tendencies started to appear, before he became unrecognizable. I guess I don’t know what to think because the Michael Jackson that I thought was the coolest, the one that’s burned on my 8 year-old brain, has been dead and gone for a long time now.


I am considering buying an iPod touch. Anybody got one? Love it? Hate it? The pathetic 32 gig capacity gives me pause. My 60 gig is bursting at the seams. Maybe I should just upgrade to a 120 gig so I can stop being jealous of Jen’s. James, I know you have an opinion here.




Can’t wait to see most of you guys next week. Remember when someone would walk in the house and say, “The Paynes are here” or “The Gibsons are here” and everyone would scream and run out on the street to start hugging them before they could pull their bags out of the trunk? Why did we ever stop doing that?

6 comments:

Kristen said...

I was also a huge fan of Michael when I was little. My mom gave me a cassette tape of his when I was about 10 and I listened to that thing all the time.

And Ali, why are you even thinking about getting an iPod Touch with only 32 gigs of memory? Every time I see you with your iPod I swear you say "Man, this thing is jammed. I gotta buy one that will hold more." Or just think of when we're in the middle of a music game and you try to look up a song and say "I could have looked up that song on my iPod if only it held more!"

Sound familiar?

Ali said...

Yes, yes, I know, but the Touch can do so many cool things that the classic cannot. I'm so torn! Why hasn't Apple marketed a Touch with, like, a 500 gig capacity? I know that have the technology! Why aren't they sharing it!

Selfish!

Becky said...

just hold out til they make one with more space! you know they will, they always do!

i love MJ and i have no shame over it. i am sad.

Remember our MJ "nightgowns" that were really just adults sized shirts? Sarah and I had them and I think you and Jen did too. They were a black shirt with his picture and the small sizes (mine and Sar's) had his name in orange and the medium sizes (you and Jen had I think) had his name in red. Sound familiar? I could find pictures. Anyway, once I was shopping in Hess's in the old Richland Mall with Grams and Mom and I saw a lady walk by me wearing what I thought was a little girl's nightgown as a shirt with her jeans. my eyes about bugged out of head. :)

Jimmy Jam said...

Apple can't Market a 500Gig Touch because the memory isn't there. Your 60Gig has a real laptop hard drive in it. The Touch has flash memory. The largest flash thumb drive just came out 128Gigs for $525. Wait 3-4 years and the touch will have 128 gigs. The current iPod Classic has 120Gigs, the largest laptop hard drive is now at 500 gigs. 120 gigs was standerd three years ago. Personally I was thinking of an iPod Touch just because I would be upgrading from a 1 gig nano. And 1 gig gives me 14 hours of music. Really can you listen to 60 Gigs of music in your lifetime?

Ali said...

Holy crap, Becky! I had forgotten about those shirts! I think the photo was the cover shot from the Thriller album. I totally loved that "nightgown."

James, my point is I don't see why they have to make the Touch with a flash drive. Sure, you shake it around for the games, but I shake my laptop around all the time and I cannot even tell you how often I've dropped my 60 gig Classic right on the street. Those hard drives are sturdier than people think. And I'm not convinced that the largest laptop hard drive is 500 gigs. I like to think they can go up to a terabyte and are just holding out on us. But okay, fine, if you can give me a hard drive that's 500 gigs, why aren't you giving me an iPod that's 500 gigs? Why are we messing around with this 120 gig crap? I have a lot of stuff! And why, while I'm up, did they used to offer a 160 gig Classic and then they dialed it back to 120 gigs? That's just the opposite of sense-making.

It's not that I have time to listen to all 60 gigs. It's that I want to have it all with me. I want to be able to hear Tracey Ullman's "They Don't Know About Us" on the radio, say to myself "I forgot that song existed," and then find it on my iPod and listen to it over and over for the next hour. You can't do that if you have to pick and choose and be aware of everything that's on your iPod. Whatever. I cannot be confined by your "logic" right now!

Jimmy Jam said...

They went from 160 gigs to 120 Gigs because that's were the sweet spot is located. 120 Gigs is right were price, demand and maximum profitability intersect. This is Apple (your getting what we tell you you want) Not Dell (tells us how you want to configure this).

The flash drive makes the iPod Touch that much lighter, and gives much needed room for the larger display. Trust me....much research and has gone into this (along with Steve's personal soul).