Monday, August 3, 2009

Cooking and eating and fruit and pottery and games = Weekend of Awesomeness

This is what comes of spending the weekend with people who cook. Now I'm cooking. Friday night Liz made spaghetti. I love how all the aunts have a different take on Grammy's homemade sauce, and all the sauces are great, and their daughters make it like they do. Liz's version is thicker and spicier than my mom's, and it's all delicious. Then Zack made us Polish breakfast. Liz made us tacos and chicken salad and grilled chicken and zucchini and squash. It was one big pig fest. And Becky and Sherry were there talking about the stuff they cook. And then it happened. Kris, being a vegetarian, couldn't eat the tacos, so she whipped up this crazy witchcrafty magical quesadilla thing with mushrooms and cheese and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it! So I made one tonight and let me tell you, it was magnificent.



It all started with the mushrooms.



And then it somehow turned into this. I even broke out an actual plate for this one. I thought it deserved it. Note the ice cold Coke in the background. Perfect. I can't wait to make this again. I wish I was hungry for another one right now.

Other awesomeness from our weekend of fun:

We went to Liz's farm market, where I would shop every day if I lived in Mechanicsburg.













And then we went here:



A place that sells fair trade goods to help artisans in disadvantaged countries sell their work. Look at this amazing necklace from Cambodia. It's a dove made from a bomb casing, with "peace" in English and Kmer engraved on it. So cool.



And we went to Color Me Mine to paint pottery!


Kris examines her color choices.


Becky scrapes the lyrics of a John Mayer song into her "coffee cup of dreams."



And here it is with Liz's polka dot bowl, Kris' Asian plates, and my teapot and Noah's Ark. (Shh! Don't tell Julia!) They're waiting to be glazed and fired and Liz will pick them up this week. Liz and Kris and I have already planned more visits to Color Me Mine.

Also, we played Rock Band and Settlers of Catan, snuggled Weston, and just generally had a great time. Thanks to our hosts for being awesome.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I'm a little shocked that you actually broke out a pan and made yourself a quesadilla. I really thought you would just deprive yourself and then demand I make you one when you come down. Most impressive!

That was such a great weekend -- everything about it was fun. I am itching to go back to Color Me Mine. Great recap and photos!

Amanda said...

We have a pottery place like that down here... It's called The Mad Potter. I love it... but never have anyone who wants to go with me :o( Someone come to visit and paint pottery with me, please! haha