Tuesday, August 3, 2010

So, that's how Salander is pronounced.


As though I wasn't traumatized enough by The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo book, I spent this evening watching the Swedish version of the film. (Netflix streaming through the Wii is awesome, btw.) I liked the casting for Blomkvist and Salander, but mostly I spent two and half hours muttering, "Hey! In the book...

...she was alive."
...she was dead."
...he wasn't that guy's brother."
...he was much older."
...he was slightly younger."
...she was far less rude."
...none of this stuff took place."
...there was a plotline that explained this."
...that thing did not happen at all."
Etc, etc, etc...

It's always difficult to watch a book be translated to film (unless Peter Jackson is doing it), but this wasn't too bad. They did have a boatload of information to pack into it, and they did the best they could. I'm interested to see how the upcoming American version handles it. I predict that with Daniel Craig in the role, Blomkvist will spend a lot more time shirtless.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Netflix through Wii! I wonder if I can do that too!

Ali said...

Do you have wireless internet? All you have to do is connect your Wii to your wireless, request the streaming CD from Netflix, link your account to the Wii, and you're all set. You can stream anything that Netflix has available in the instant queue straight to your TV.

If I wasn't so addicted to my DVR, I swear I'd cancel my cable right now. Netflix has everything I'd ever need plus there's all the stuff that can be gotten through Hulu.