Friday, May 6, 2011

Crafty Tutorial: DIY notepads

Today was a gorgeous day, which was rather convenient since I was off of work. I went antiquing and took some photos and had some delicious Chinese food. I like to end a day like that with some crafty crafting.


If you know me, you may know that I love to make lists. Then I love to cross things off those lists. Gives me a thrill. So I go through a fair amount of notepads. Most notepads have annoying flowers all over them or something even worse like cats. Blargh. So I took matters into my own hands and made some delightful notepads of my own. You can too.

You will need:

Paper printed with list headings, clever quotes, etc. (I did about 75 sheets for each pad, which worked out nicely. I wouldn't go higher than that.)
A paper cutter of some sort (They're relatively inexpensive at any craft store.)
Bonding compound (Also available at craft stores or online. A bottle this size will last you a lifetime and probably make it into the will.)
A small paintbrush
Small paper clamps (Available at Staples or the like.)
80s music and maybe a snack or a drink


First, print your lists. I did this quick and easy by using Word, turning the paper to landscape orientation, and splitting it into three columns. Then I added fun headers in pleasing colors, which you can't really see since my photo is hideously blue. (I don't want to hear about it, James!)


You could use dramatic or historical quotes about remembering and organizing. (That Marcus Aurelius had a lot of interesting stuff to say.)


Or you could be more on the nose.


Or you could use a fun quote from one of the best television shows ever created, despite the fact that it was cruelly cancelled after only two seasons.


After you print your paper (50 to 75 sheets, I'd say), you need to cut it. This is the most tedious part of the process, made considerably less so if your parents got you a super awesome paper cutter for Christmas. You can also use the scrapbooking paper slicers sold at most craft stores, but you can't cut as many pages at a time with those. (This is where the 80s music and snack come in handy.)


When you've finished you'll have a nice, tidy pile of pages ready to be bound together. I trimmed my Natalie/Jeremy pile shorter because I want to carry that one in my purse.


Then you place a small clamp on either side of the pad, about a quarter of an inch from the top.


Now this part is fun. Slather the top with a generous amount of bonding compound. On one of the pads I added a cardboard backing with a bit of magnet so I can hang it on my fridge. I made sure to put a lot of compound on that one.


Also, should you happen to accidentally send your paintbrush hurtling through the air, splattering bonding compound on your shirt, pants, and floor, fear not. The compound cleans up very nicely off of cotton, corduroy, and hardwood floors.

Not that I did that. Twice.


Let them dry while you stand back to admire your handiwork.


Start making a list of stuff for your next project. Or grocery trip. I am totally out of milk.

4 comments:

Melissa (your sister) said...

Very clever you are!

I would have absolutely no patience for any of that but would thoroughly enjoy them as a gift. =)

Ali said...

Your suggestion is noted. And I intended the heck out of that pun.

Anonymous said...

those do look fun. And I'm using note pads all the time. I would buy that paper cutter just for the purpose of making them.

Unknown said...

These would make great gifts, just saying!