Sunday, May 29, 2011

Il Mostro di Firenze


I just finished reading The Monster of Florence, by Douglas Preston. I picked it up thinking it was a scary novel but soon realized it was a true story. You may have heard me remark that I couldn't believe Dr. H. H. Holmes, the serial killer featured in the outstanding book The Devil in the White City, was not more well-known since he was America's version of Jack the Ripper. Well, il mostro di Firenze is Italy's version of the Ripper, and this guy is still at large. Kristen, we could have walked past him on our way to the Brancacci Chapel! Gah!

Douglas Preston is an American crime novelist who moved to Florence with his wife and children in order to write a thriller novel about Masaccio and the Brancacci frescoes. While researching his novel, he spoke to a journalist friend of his, Mario Spezi, and Spezi told Preston the astonishing story of the Monster of Florence killings. Preston was shocked to find that two of the victims had been murdered in the olive grove just outside his Florentine house. He soon abandoned the Masaccio novel and he and Spezi set out to discover the identity of the killer. What starts out as a creepy story ends up as an indictment of the Italian justice system, as you would not believe the whacked out theories that have been posited in this case.

Fascinating book, highly recommended.

7 comments:

Kristen said...

Well, now I know I should be packing the next time we visit Florence. Eek!

As good as this book sounds, I am incredibly upset that he ditched writing the book about Masaccio and the frescoes, my favorite piece of art ever. All because of a serial killer on the loose . . .

Ali said...

I know! And in this book he gives a short synopsis of the Masaccio book he was going to write and it sounded like a cool book.

Lex said...

Oh no! I hope Taylor doesn't run into him...

Ali said...

I hope Taylor doesn't read this blog post.

Lex said...

I was thinking the same thing... Hopefully she's way to busy having too much fun to look at it. Hopefully.

Melissa (your sister) said...

I told you she reads your blog!!!

Ali said...

Yes, but when you told me that I didn't know she was spending an extended time in Florence! I thought she'd be there for a couple of days and then move on to Venice or something.

Look, he hasn't killed anyone since the 80s, and he always kills couples in pairs, so as long as she doesn't find an Italian boyfriend, she'll be fine.

And really, if he was going to start up again, don't you think he'd target Sammi and Ronnie first? I would certainly hope so.