Monday, August 22, 2011

In praise of the unmade bed.



I read lots of articles about organization. I love organization. If I had to the chance to go out to dinner or stay home and organize a closet, I’d really have to think about that choice. So it bothers me that the first thing so many organizers tell you to do is make your bed every morning.

What? Make my bed?

I never make my bed and I am the most organized person I know. Many aspects of my life could easily be made into a visual representation of data because I organize my life by Excel spreadsheet.

So I must disagree that bedmaking is the first step to an organized lifestyle. It’s not even that it’s a waste of time, because really it’s not that much time you waste. It’s that a made bed makes a room look sterile and uninviting. An unmade bed, with its fluffy pillows askew and its soft blankets heaped up like clouds, says to you, “Come closer. I am terribly snuggly. Wouldn’t a nap be a good idea right now?”

Yes. Yes, a nap would be a good idea right now. A nap is rarely a bad idea. If you’re driving a car or watching a Broadway performance, only then a nap is a bad idea. And frankly, I’ve seen many people in theaters disagree with me on that second one. Which is all to say, embrace the unmade bed! Life should be as simple and napful as possible.

No comments: