Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Coming along nicely...

I recently wrote about my preparations for my Germany/Austria trip and the things I wanted to accomplish before leaving. With less than three weeks to go, here's how I'm doing with my list.

Goal 1: Find the perfect bag.

I found one that's pretty nearly perfect. The Rick Steves Civita bag is a backpack made of soft, light, tough fabric and it's super roomy. I took it to Idlewild a couple of times and I was impressed. Plus it's got tons of pockets for staying super organized. I consider this goal accomplished.

Goal 2: Learn a bit of German so that I have a base to build upon when we get there.

Epic fail. The only German I know is the one swear word I picked up from watching Run Lola, Run and the words to a beer drinking song my friend from work sent me. Since I have zero plans to be frustrated on my trip or to consume the troughs of beer they serve at Oktoberfest, I doubt I'll need either.


You know what I'm talking about.


Goal 3: Learn how to better use my Nikon.

I'm reading my Nikon Guide and making progress, but I'd like to do better here. Kristen, are you giving any classes in the next two weeks?

Goal 4: Establish a packing plan that Rick Steves would, if not be proud of, at least not sneer at.

I'm proud to report through the judicious use of packing cubes and the vicious slashing of my packing list, I might just possibly carry-on my luggage for 8 days in Europe. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd be able to do that. We'll see...

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I stink at giving Nikon classes (see my mother for affirmation). I am, however, decent at giving on-the-spot advice, so I think that all evens out in the end. At least that's what I tell myself.