Friday, November 18, 2011

Eleven down, one to go.

November's meat meal was, by far, the most labor-intensive and scary: halupki.


The labor-intesive part: boiling cabbage and peeling off the leaves.



Then you have a nice big bowl of cabbage leaves and your kitchen smells like brussel sprouts, which is lovely if you like brussel sprouts, and I do.



The scary part: A big bowl of ground beef and pork, which you have to mix with rice, garlic, etc. I nearly fainted.



My very first halupki roll. I was so proud.



Soon I had a lovely mountain of them, and they were pretty, so long as I didn't think about what they were stuffed with.



Into the pot with tomatoes to be braised for three long hours.



And then gobbled up with mashed potatoes. A true western PA delicacy. I love living in an area where lots of Polish immigrants settled.

2 comments:

Chris said...

What did you do with all of them? Did you freeze them for later?

Ali said...

Yep. Between this and the batch of sauce I made, my freezer is so full I can't even buy a pint of Haagen Daz.