Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Ready Player One



I just started reading this book and I’m loving it so much. It’s set in a dystopian future where an eccentric billionaire video game designer, who had been a teenager in the 1980s and thus devoted to that decade, has recently died. In his will, he leaves his massive fortune to the first person who can find an Easter egg that he’s hidden in his most popular game.

If you either can’t remember or didn’t care for the 80s, you might still enjoy this book as a complicated logic puzzle of an adventure story, despite the fact that you don’t understand the Atari and Heathers references. But if you love the 80s, if you think John Hughes could do no wrong except for that one time when he clearly should have had Andie choose Duckie, if you immediately get the “cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria!” quote in the first chapter, if you still carry a watermelon for Dirty Dancing and you know all the lyrics to Devo’s Whip It, then this book is so very for you.

I'm two chapters in and the main character is watching old Family Ties episodes. It's rad. Enjoy.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Video games and the 80s? What's not to love?

Ali said...

I guess it depends on who you ask. Your mom always says you're the only good thing that came out of the 80s. I'm pretty sure she would scorn Devo.

Kristen said...

Most of the music from the 80s I was singing along to in the car on the way to elementary school. That could have sullied the decade for her well enough.

Ali said...

Of course, I am singing Rich Girl in my head right now.

“How do you know all the words to this song? And did they just say what I think they said?”