Sunday, January 22, 2012

Good cookin'

Kris and I went to Casa Bogaczyk last weekend for lots of baby holding, board games, and good food. Every time I visit Liz, I inevitably come home with some great new recipe like Liz's chicken salad or Zack's Polish breakfast or Kristen's mushroom quesadillas. This time it was chicken fajitas with beans and coriander rice. I came home and could not wait to make this for myself.

The beans take three or four hours, but they're so worth it and they make your kitchen smell divine.

Beans and lots of onions and tomatoes. Yum.


Cumin and cilantro and every good thing. The kitchen smelled amazing all afternoon.


This was the first time I used all four burners on my stove at once. It felt rather empowering.


The delicious result. A fajita or burrito or whatever with chicken, beans, coriander rice, sauteed vegetables, avocado, and sour cream. Yum. City.

Also, remember when I was trying to become an avocado person? I'm not sure how it happened, but I have become a full-on avocado freak. I would plant an avocado tree in my yard if I thought I was capable of growing anything successfully. This week I have had avocado on my fajitas, avocado grilled cheese sandwiches (one of the best things you will ever eat in your lifetime), and avocado salsa dip. I am now out of the beautiful avocados I bought at the Delallo store (most gorgeous produce ever) and nowhere around here has good avocados and I am in withdrawal.

I blame Kristen for this. She got me hooked.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Now I want those beans again. Mmmmmm.

Now that you've finally caved to the deliciousness of avocados, may I highly suggest a piece of naan (TJ's is really good), little olive oil, shmear of avocado, topped with tomato and basil and toasted in the oven. So. Good.

Ali said...

That sounds crazy delicious.