Wednesday, July 25, 2012

And it's like the fog has lifted...


So, this past weekend I headed back to PA to see my dear friend Amanda, who was visiting home from Texas. Amanda's family has a huge shindig every July in which they roast a pig and invite everyone in the tri-county area up to the farm. It's great fun and much delicious food is consumed.

This year, we set off some luminaries. Think that scene in Tangled where the whole kingdom sets off lanterns for the lost princess and the soaring notes of "At Last I See the Light" (the song which clearly should have won the Oscar last year) emanate from the screen as I cry uncontrollably and try to shield my face from my little niece so as not to scar her.


You know, like this. Rapunzel and Eugene 4eva!


These luminaries were a little less "Tangled lantern" and more "Pope's hat." But still very cool. Check it:


Amanda had to whip the luminary around to fill it up with air.

At this point I'm just praying it doesn't go up like a Roman candle.

Pope's hat, about to launch.

Up, up, and away...


They're very cool because once they fill up with air and the air heats up, they just lift off your hands...






This green luminary gave us a bit of trouble. It lit and took off fine, but then things got complicated. It started to lose altitude, like Carl's house when he and Russell sailed into the storm (what is with my Disney Pixar references today?) and came down on Amanda's parents' roof. Then it scraped, flame-side down, along the roof like Russell across the windshield of Charles Muntz's zeppelin, and up over the top and down the other side of the roof.


Imagine this portly child is a flaming luminary.


I'd have taken a photo, but my mouth was agape and I could only think "I can't believe we burned down Amanda's parents house." All the kids screamed and ran around the other side of the house. Amanda, Gena, and I took the shortcut, in the back door and out the front. Amanda chased the lantern as it floated into the trees and down into the clover field. I just stood on the porch and thought "I can't believe we burned down Amanda's parents farm." Just before it could ignite the greenery, I guess it got enough hot air to lift off, because it took flight as the kids squealed in delight and we sighed in relief.

Can't wait to do it again.

No comments: