Friday, July 20, 2012

More from the National Gallery


More great art from my trip the National Gallery...


Blowing bubbles...


It's interesting to see that 18th century French children weren't so different from my four-year-old niece.


Doesn't this look like a serious fellow? Rather Puritanical, I'd say. Would it surprise you to know...


...he's on ice skates? Yeah, me too.


One of the things I really love in paintings of this era is the way the artists captured fabric. The ripples and creases and the way it catches the light with the silks and brocades, it all amazes me. There were lots of good examples on display.








I think some of the Gallery's greatest unsung artistry can be found in the magnificent gilded frames that accompany the artwork. They're a triumph of woodworking and just stunning.











The final artwork I visited was that of the plaster mold used to create the bronze memorial to the Massachusetts 54th Regiment that sits on Boston Common. This is the regiment portrayed in the film "Glory."


The sculpture depicts Colonel Robert Gould Shaw leading his men into battle, looking fierce and determined.


I've seen the bronze in Boston, so it was great to see the plaster model, too. The details are wonderful and the sculpture is very moving.




Colonel Shaw and more than 100 of his compatriots gave the last full measure of devotion at the Battle of Fort Wagner, 149 years ago this past Wednesday. Maybe next year on July 18th, I'll visit it again and pay my respects.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

That's it, I need to go the Philly museum again in an effort to quell my envy. LOVE that circular frame. Set off any alarms when you were getting the detail shots? ;)

Ali said...

Shockingly, no, I did not. The zoom lens was my friend.

Ali said...

But at one point two of the guards started barking, "Too close! Too close!" and of course I thought they were talking to me, but they were just talking to the guy next to me.