Tuesday, July 17, 2012

"You're the National Gallery, you're Garbo's salary, you're cellophane!"


So, the National Gallery. Oh, my my. This was the first of what will be many trips, since there are over 100 galleries and I only got through fifteen. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. There are three components to the National Gallery: the Sculpture Garden, the modern East Building which houses the NG's modern collections, and the original museum building, now called The West Building, which houses the museum's original collections. That's where I spent my time since sculpture and modern art aren't high on my list. Except for this silver tree, which sparkles beautifully in the sunshine:


The building itself is amazing. When it was finished in 1941, it was the largest marble structure in the world. Pillars, a rotunda, a central fountain, and sunlit hallways branching off to the galleries...






But oh, the paintings! (Please excuse the poor photography. I was concerned with getting too close and setting off the alarms. Not that I've done that in other museums. Twice.)

Renoirs...




Monets...



This one is my favorite. It's of his wife and son. I love the movement of it. Her dress is just dancing in the wind.


And I could not stop staring at this one. Look at the way he captures the reflections on the water. 





There were art students practicing their craft, which I think takes a lot of courage in such a public space.



I was so pleased to come upon this one because I used to have a small print of it in my book room. I love how she’s so absorbed in her book that she doesn’t even notice her skirt is caught up on the chair’s arm. I’ll bet it’s Austen or Bronte.



And this was the subject of a gorgeous postage stamp that I’m always wishing was a forever stamp.




This is Leonardo’s da Vinci’s portrait of Ginevra de Benci, a young Italian noblewoman. Guys, this painting is a huge deal. So little of da Vinci’s work remains in existence and it was an enormous coup for the museum to acquire this. It’s the only da Vinci on display in the country. (There are actually two Americans who also have da Vincis in their private collections. Can you even imagine?) 

Ginevra graces much of the museum’s literature because they’re so proud to have her. Check her curls. They are so exquisite up close. Kristen directed me to this gallery because it’s her fourth favorite painting. I wonder what the top three are. You should tell us in the comments, Kris. 


The painting is displayed on a punched-out wall because da Vinci painted a wreath on the back listing some of Ginevra’s qualities. 

Apparently, she was beautiful and virtuous. 

Check out this terrifying scene, painted from a real life incident. Gah! 


You’re gonna need a bigger boat. 

I love this dude, who is taking on the monstrous shark with what is basically a pointy stick. I would have been like the guy behind him. “Yeah, I think I’ll just row. I’m all set.”


I saw a lot more amazing stuff, but this post is long enough. More later...

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Couldn't you just live there? Seriously.

Ahhh, Ginevra! Love, love her. I had a print of her hanging in my office and my coworker made me a necklace with the print shrunk down to fit on the pendant (probably in an effort to get me to shut up about the painting). It's actually my third favorite work of art -- I don't know why I said fourth. The others:
1. The Brancacci Chapel frescoes -- these have been my favorite since I learned of their existence when I was 15. Love what they depict.
2. The Jewish Cemetery, by van Ruisdael. I love the darkness, the tree, the ruins in the background.

What are your favorites?

Ali said...

Well, you're doing well with having seen all your favorites in person. I do love Renoir, but my favorites are the Pre-Raphaelites, especially Millais and Waterhouse (even though he's not strictly considered an original Pre-Raphaelite.) I love that they take their subjects from poetry and drama, and I love their gorgeous color and composition, and I love that they got together and said, "Let's commit to these ideals and change the way we do things." I like the revolutionary spirit.

Millais' Ophelia is a particular favorite of mine. I know it's rather macabre, but it's so beautiful.

Incidentally, an exhibition of Pre-Raphaelites is coming to the National Gallery in February. I CANNOT WAIT.

Kristen said...

Ahhh, the pre-Raphaelites. That's some great work. I also enjoy that Ophelia painting -- it's just gorgeous. And who cares about the death factor -- I often plant myself in front of Prometheus Bound in Philly for several minutes, so I think it's pretty clear that beautiful art can make you ignore the morbid stuff. Even when it involves organs being ripped out of the subject.

Ginevra I knew little about before I saw her, but van Ruisdael and the fresco artists I had studied in depth, so to see those works in person was unparalleled. So, so cool to see something you've studied for years suddenly right in front of your face.