Thursday, January 10, 2013

Happy New Year and Oscar Season!


The Oscar nominations were announced today. This delights me because I love movies and I can distract myself from the fact that Christmas is another 11 months away by getting Oscar ready. Here are my initial reactions:


Best Picture
No huge surprises here, except maybe that Amour and Beasts got nominated and The Master didn't.


Best Director
No Ben Affleck or Kathryn Bigelow? What? I thought it would be a fight between the two of them and neither was even nominated. Shocking. Affleck's snub was my biggest disappointment of the nominations. I think he's such a gifted director and I'm not sure why the Academy isn't recognizing that.


Best Actor
No John Hawkes? This was a big disappointment too. John Hawkes is doing consistently brilliant work and I like to see him get recognition for it. And I love to see Deadwood alums do well.


Best Actress
Jennifer Lawrence scores a second nom in such a young career. Good for her.



Best Supporting Actor
Ah, my favorite category. Leo was snubbed again (I can hear Jen shriek in anger all the way in Virginia), which is a shame because he was quite good in a role that could easily have been cartoony. Christoph Waltz was more of a lead that a supporter if you ask me but I'm happy to see him recognized because he was brilliant. I doubt he'll win, though, because giving him another Oscar for another over the top Tarantino role doesn't seem likely.


Best Supporting Actress
They say Anne Hathaway has this in the bag and the other four shouldn't bother to show up. But those are the kinds of things that get said just before an upset. And Helen Hunt's performance was fantastic.


Screenplays
I'm rooting for Argo for Adapted (it was so good -- seriously, go see it -- and if it can't get Director it should get screenplay) and Django for Original (I pretty much decided that at, "The D is silent, hillbilly!"). However, I'm happy to see Moonrise Kingdom get some recognition. It really should have had noms for Production Design and Costumes as well.



Forty six days ans lots of movies to go, so I'm off to a late showing of Flight. What did you guys think of the nominations?

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Per tradition, I have seen hardly any of the nominated movies, but I agree about Ben Affleck and Moonrise Kingdom. I seriously loved MK. I saw it twice in the theater and wished I had gone more. I'm sort of surprised The Hobbit didn't get nominated for Cinematography -- didn't they make kind of a big deal about that?

I really need to start watching some of these. Have you seen Beasts of the Southern Wild? I'm wondering if it's as good as it looks.

Ali said...

I saw Beasts last week from Netflix. It was good but not great, in my opinion. The little girl's performance was astounding and I'm glad she was nominated for an Oscar, but this Best Pic/Best Director/Best Screenplay stuff -- I would not have given it those nominations.