Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Oscar readiness continues...



Last night, I saw The Impossible, the true story of one family caught in the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami. The film is great on it's own, but it's especially good at painting a picture of what it was like to experience one of the worst natural disasters in history. When the wave hits, I couldn't help thinking about what the people in the 1889 Johnstown Flood might have gone through. The terror and bone-crunching devastation of being hit with that much water and debris was just unreal.

Naomi Watts was nominated for Best Actress, and while she was great, I think this is one of those instances where they nominate one person in order to honor the entire film. Ewan McGregor was also outstanding (when is he not?), but he real story here is Tom Holland, the kid who plays the family's eldest son, Lucas. He carried the film, in my opinion, and he's, like, 12. I'm calling it now: he will be hugely famous within ten years.


No comments: