Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Quick! Someone solve this mystery!



So, there's this family with ten children, nine of whom are home on Christmas Eve, 1945, when a fire engulfs the family home. The parents and four of the children escape; the other five, aged 5 through 14, disappear without a trace. No bones or human remains among the ashes. Nothing. The parents, convinced the children are alive, do everything they can to find them. They chase down every lead, write to J. Edgar Hoover asking for an FBI investigation, they even hire a private investigator but he goes missing himself.

And then, 23 years after the fire, a mysterious photograph shows up in the mail, purporting to be an image of  the missing 9-year-old boy, all grown up. And it really does look like him. No letter from the unknown sender, no return address.


Eventually the parents died without ever knowing the truth. Four of the remaining five siblings died as well. Now, the last surviving child, who was two years old when the fire happened, still hopes to find out what became of her five brothers and sisters.

You really need to read this story. Mysterious visitors, creepy strangers watching, arson and bombs, mafia-related threats, strange noises in the night, credible sightings of the missing children, and then that cryptic photograph! Why were they taken? Where did they go? And why, if they did live 23 or more years after the fire, did they never try to contact their parents?

Oh, this story is just too much. Someone please figure out what happened. I am dying here.

8 comments:

Linda said...

The adult photo also bears a strong resemblance to the older son. Because of the level of unbelievable coincidences I believe the whole ordeal has Mafia written all over it. I tend to blame organized crime whenever I have the opportunity. I hope no Mafia members are reading your blog.

Ali said...

Blame the mob. Sounds like a good plan. But then why would they not contact their parents? Would the fear of the mafia threats last that long? Oh, this is like the Lost Colony of Roanoke! I really hope all is revealed when I die, at the very least.

Jennifer said...

Absolutely fascinating story! Did this happen where Jimmy Payne is now living? I agree with Linda that this boy has some resemblance to his older brother. I really wish someone could track down that photo and find out where it came from. I think that would be the best place to start. Those poor parents.

Lex said...

Jen and I literally talked about this for a good 20 minutes. It is so incredibly chilling.

I want to become a Private Investigator just so I can try and solve this!!

We could call Sherlock!! If only he were real...

Ali said...

Ooh, Sherlock would have this figured out in five minutes. Alas...

Kristen said...

This is the kind of story that both intrigues me and drives me absolutely insane (I was addicted to Unsolved Mysteries as a little kid and still am drawn to these kind of stories). What is the answer??? I'm just like you -- I need to know. Also, if someone could solve that Lost Children of the Alleghenies story, that would be great.

Ali said...

I was thinking about the Lost Children of the Alleghenies the whole time I was reading this story. But this one is even worse, because there wasn't even a confirmation of their deaths.

Melissa (your sister) said...

At least it is missing the whole psycho/ic who dreamed where the bodies would be found and led people to them.
Hello! Case solved!


Anyway, I don't see how this hasn't been made into a movie yet, the WV kids that is.