Monday, March 4, 2013

Oscar Round-up Part II: The Show


So, yeah, the actual show. Let's just dive right in.

Things I enjoyed:


Seth MacFarlane. I thought he was a good host. Even if he did front-load most of his jokes into his bit with Captain Kirk, I enjoyed it. The Sally Field make-out thing was pretty funny, too. Good for her for being a good sport. Also, Tommy Lee Jones for laughing and not being weird about it.




See? That's what I'm talking about.




I also loved Charlize Theron and Jennifer Lawrence being so game to make fun of themselves during Seth’s intro song.



This. I love it when unusual stuff happens.



This man. He accepted the Best Animated Film award for Brave and he looked fabulous doing it. Also, yay for Brave!

Charlize Theron and Channing Tatum

Waltzing in the opening number. It was lovely.


Seth MacFarlane as Max Detweiler.

"They're gone!"

The whole intro of Christopher Plummer mimicking The Sound of Music. It was cheesy hilarity and it made me want to go back to Salzburg. (To be fair, thinking about mountains or good potato salad also makes me want to go back to Salzburg.)



She is an utter delight.



Ben wins! I totally agree that Argo was the best film of the year. His speech was really great, too; so heartfelt.



Daniel Day-Lewis making history (first man to win three Best Actor Oscars) and being charming and funny in his speech. That bit about Meryl playing Lincoln and himself playing Margaret Thatcher—I didn’t know he had it in him.

You know, there's a lot of injustice linked to the Oscars (Gary Oldman doesn't have one, for instance.) But it's nice that the record for Best Actor Oscars should be held by this man, who is undoubtedly one of the finest actors to have ever graced the screen.



"And my man, I love you, baby." Ha! Oh, Adele.



Helena Bonham-Carter and Sacha Baron Coen looking utterly miserable as they're forced to sing their Les Mis parts in the medley. Heh.

Finally, did you know the ladies' room at the Oscars exploded just as everyone was coming in from the red carpet? This article slays me. "The poor woman came out looking like a scene from 'Carrie.'" Ha!


Things I did not enjoy:


Ben Affleck not winning Best Director in a write-in vote. (It could’ve happened!) Now Ang Lee has to take home an Oscar that wasn’t really supposed to be his. And when he looks into the mirror, he knows it.



Anne Hathaway’s speech. It felt really rehearsed and fake. A lot about her seems insincere, which is maybe why many people seem to dislike her. In fact, with all the hate heading her way, I feel kinda bad piling on. I will say she definitely deserved that Oscar. I just hated the speech. And the dress. And the... you know what? I'm just gonna stop.

Can't wait for next year!

No comments: