Saturday, March 16, 2013

Signs


Did you see Paperman? It's the beautifully animated short film that won the Oscar a few weeks ago. It is truly lovely to look at, but if you're wondering why I didn't remark on it when I posted about the short films, it's because something about it didn't sit well with me. It reminded me so much (too much) of a live action short I saw a few years ago. I couldn't remember the name or where I'd seen it, but I knew that Paperman's entire plot had been lifted from this other film.

We did not come up with this idea.

Well, I finally figured it out. It's called Signs and you should watch it. If you've seen Paperman, you'll see the case for plagiarism can easily be made. But you know what they say: "In literature it's plagiarism, in film it's homage."


And even if you're like, "What are you even talking about with these short films? I don't watch that stuff.," you should still give Signs a watch. It's well worth your twelve minutes.

1 comment:

Melissa (your sister) said...

The whole time I read this post I was wondering if this Paperman had foil hats in it.
Vamanos!