Thursday, September 6, 2007

I'll see your tiny white cardigan and raise you a 3-inch long pair of patent leather Mary Janes

So, I’m an aunt now and I’m terribly excited about it. Julia Diane was born on August 30, after she and her mother gave us the scare of a lifetime. I learned on that day that Melis is great in a crisis and I am the opposite of great in a crisis. I simply slip into a fugue state. But now that Jules and Jen are doing fine, I have begun to think about the obvious implication of all this: how much stuff can I buy for my little cutie?

I am telling you, it’s a whole new world for me. I used to be blind to the Children’s section in stores; now I’m pretty sure it emits a subliminal tone that summons me to it, beckoning me to find the prettiest little dresses and hats and purple corduroy pants. Oh, I’m so stoked that Jules is a girl because the girlie stuff is just plain more fun to buy than the boys' stuff and nobody can deny that. I can’t wait for Christmas.

9 comments:

Amanda said...

I totally agree! Little girls are so easy to buy for! They have the coolest things to pick from... which makes it really hard to pick only a few! I need to get a second job... :o)

Ali said...

I will see you at the McDonald's drive-thru.

Anonymous said...

get the kid some books as well. Books will last a lifetime, were clothes won't

Unknown said...

Does this mean you will not be buying as much for yourself?

Ali said...

James, fear not. The Prydain Chronicles will be purchased.

Chris, let's not get crazy here.

Anonymous said...

By "The Stinky Cheese man: and other fairly stupid tales" and if you can find a copy "Bea and Mr. Jones"

Ali said...

Okay, now you're just making that stuff up.

Anonymous said...

http://www.amazon.com/Stinky-Cheese-Other-Fairly-Stupid/dp/067084487X/ref=sr_1_1/103-9508000-5912605?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189571516&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Bea-Mr-Jones-Amy-Schwartz/dp/0152058117/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-9508000-5912605?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189571535&sr=8-1

Ali said...

Okay, you're not making it up.