Monday, October 27, 2008

Good evening

The author of my terror

Have you checked out the Hulu website? It's fabulous. You can watch tons of old (and new) TV shows and movies. I recently discovered that they have the first two season of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and the first three seasons of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour. In season three of the latter, I found the episode "An Unlocked Window"! My cousins will surely remember any one of the aunts telling the tale of watching that episode when they were children. They literally shake with fear every time it's mentioned. So, of course, I had to watch it tonight. Alone. By myself. Completely alone. Ack!

The episode tells the story of two private-duty nurses, looking after a sick man in a huge old house on a dark and stormy night. They're quite terrified because there's a homicidal maniac on the loose who has been murdering nurses, and the latest murder has occurred very nearby. They lock up the house tight, but there's this one window in the basement...

Oh, man. Even though I knew the how the story ends, I still nearly vomited from the suspense. Mom, Linda, Debby, Sherry, Lisa, I now know what you suffered and, like you, I shall be scarred for life.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Oh The HORROR, the HORROR.
Kris knows what I mean.

Kristen said...

Ha! Best line in that book!

Ali said...

Okay, I'm going to need this explained to me.

Linda said...

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. Interesting fact: HOD is based on the Faust legend by Goethe and the movie Apocalypse Now is based on the book Heart of Darkness. Now is it evident I am a former teacher?

Ali said...

Alas, Kris and I had a whole conversation via email about the book and how I'm wary of it because Apocalypse Now creeps me out. Didn't know about the Faust connection, though.