Thursday, October 9, 2008

Burgers the size of your head

Last night was the great burger challenge at Denny's Beer Barrel Pub.

Chris got the two-pound challenge burger:


And "Mr. Slim" got the amazing three-pounder:


We spectators cheered the competitors on with silver pom-pons and lots of enthusiam. Alas, it was not enough. Chris ate about half of his burger before posing for a photo with a big loser symbol on his forehead. Mr. Slim came so close, finishing all the meat, but being undone by the mustard and relish-soaked bottom bun which was covered in raw onions.

However, much like General MacArthur on the Philippine shores, he vows to return one day for his ultimate triumph. I can't wait to go back myself. I tried deep fried pickles (so ridiculously delicious!) and a good time was had by all.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Holy buckets. Or should I say Holy Burgers!

And come on... if you had finished the meat, you could have sat there and finished the bun! What a let down. haha :o)

And yes, you might think this is me willing to take the challenge and get my picture on the winners wall. Well, maybe. Maybe not. Is this place open over Christmas? haha

And deep fried pickles? Why yes! They are delightful! I've tried them before... at this place called Katz's here in Houston....

Ali said...

Oh Manderz, you have no idea how revolting that bun looked at that point. And these are thick, substantial, homemade buns. They're nothing you can just force down.

We definitely should try this over Christmas! I wonder who else we could get to try the challenge with you. Do you think you could handle the two pounder? I'd bring my pom-pons and my camera and I'd eat fried pickles all evening while I cheered you on!

Amanda said...

You mean you wouldn't try it? How much does this 2 pound burger cost? How far away is Clearfield? I wonder if my Dad could eat a whole one... or my brother. Had Mr. Slim gotten the 2 pound one, do you think he would have finished it? Can I get it without onions?

Ali said...

No, I would not try it. I am not insane! I couldn't even finish my 1/3 pound burger. But I would love to see your dad and your brother try.

Here is the info: The two pounder is 16 bucks, the three pounder is 22 bucks. You get an hour to eat the two pounder and 90 minutes for the three pounder. If you succeed, you get in the hall of fame (your name on a plaque), a T-shirt, and you get half off of the two pounder or completely free for the three pounder. You can remove one topping, but the toppings include lettuce, tomato, ketchup, mustard, onion, relish, pickles, and hot peppers. Mr. Slim recommends removing the relish bacause it is vile. (And I'm certain he could have polished off the two pounder.) But here's the kicker, Amanda: their ketchup is not Heinz. I know! I know! You're shrieking in disgust right now. But the food really is wonderful.

Clearfield is between 90 minutes and two hours away. Easily done in one evening. Big Ed could totally take them!